Friday, June 15, 2007

Neti Pot



Does anyone know what a "Neti Pot" is? We learned about it from Dr. Oz when he was on Oprah. They had one on the show and asked the audience if anyone new what it was. One lady in the audience knew it was a Neti Pot. They had a volunteer come up so Dr. Oz could demonstrate how it was used.

It looks a little bit like a genie lap. You fill it with salt water and tip your head and then pour it into your nose. It flushes your sinuses as goes in one nostril and out the other.

Dr. Oz said it was for people with allergies, sinus infections, and it has really helped people with chronic sinusitis. This is Emmie.

Emmie has what is known as IGA Deficiency. It's an immune system disorder that can lead to more serious things when she's an adult - but now she basically has chronic sinusitis and always has a stuffy or runny nose.

I researched the Neti Pot on the internet and thanks to Dr. Oz, it is becoming very popular. I was able to go to Walgreens and find one. We have been doing it with her everyday (she still hates it but she's a trooper) and it is really helping her. She has struggled with being able to blow her nose but she is also figuring that out a little bit. Dave has also been doing it and his allergies have gone away! It's been a good thing at our house!

3 comments:

Lula. said...

That sounds like a cool little gadget. I might have to get one. Ben and I both have been struggling with stuffy noses.

Kellie said...

It works really well for Dave. Emmie really hates because it's hard for the water to run through her sinuses because they are so infected. It's helping more every day and I'm thankful to have found it!

The BC Fam said...

When we were in Pebble Beach, Bret was dying from allergies and everyone told him to get one of those, we never did, but I'm sure we should!