Saturday, August 25, 2007

Our Milk Cow


I feel so tired right now. It's been a lazy Saturday - something we haven't known for a long time. Dave took the kids (except for Maddie) with him to Heber so he could help his mom with some things around her house. It's been a very peaceful afternoon. I have a lot of things I could be doing but right after they left, I sat down for a minute (big mistake) and I fell asleep. I woke up 1/2 hour later when Maddie needed me to take her somewhere.

I'm usually not this tired but we are starting week 5 of our paper route (4 weeks with our own route.) Bronson has been SUCH a trooper. He was born to be a "paperboy." He gets up every single morning at 5:00 to deliver the papers and NEVER complains. I go every other day at 4:00 and pick up the papers and fold them. I get to sleep in until 5:00 every other day when Diane brings them to me. We both go on Sunday and I'm so thankful that we do this together. I don't think I could do 4:00 every single morning. The only day Bronson doesn't deliver is on Sunday. I make Maddie do that one so he has a day to sleep in a little and catch up.

This started out being a family project but after Bronson got his first paycheck and I put $150 in his bank account, he didn't want to share.

I'm really proud of Bronson and his ambition to save money - and to work hard. This paper route is our families "milk cow." When Dave was growing up, he had to get up at 5:00 every morning to milk his family's cow. It didn't matter if it was Christmas day or a holiday - the cow still had to be milked. The paper is the same way. There is no day off. I'm thrilled that Bronson is getting such a head start on saving for his mission, college, etc - but more importantly, I'm so glad that he's growing to be such a hard worker like his dad.

So - I'm tired. Dave has been getting up with me on Sunday mornings to get the papers because there is just so much to put together and so many of them. That's been very helpful. I'm hoping to get him trained on the route so I can have a day off now and then!

4 comments:

Lula. said...

YOU are a trooper. So, does being a parent mean making sacrifices (sleep) to teach your kids valuable lessons? I better rest up now...!

Ben said...

I don't know if Dave reads this but if not tell him thanks for taking Cason. I think the little guys was in heaven being held by someone who knew what they were doing.

Kellie said...

You guys are the best! It was a pleasure for Dave to hold Cason today. He has a soft spot for babies. Babies really take to him because he's such a natural! We love you guys!

K. Crisler said...

I am so glad you found my blog! I love finding new blogging friends! I'll be checking up regularly.