I inherited this wonderful table from my Great Grandma Christensen. It's a "Duncan Phyfe" for all you antique enthusiasts out there. This table was a treasure for my grandma and they saved and saved to purchase it in the late 1920's or early 1930's. It was used as their dining room table and was only used on special occasions. I hope she wouldn't be too upset that it's been our kitchen table since I got it, 15 years ago. It's not in the same shape it was even when I got it, but I treasure it and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of my grandma and all that table meant to her.
I have recovered the chairs a few times since I've had it. Usually when I do, I just add the new fabric on top of all the old stuff. I couldn't do that this time because there were too many layers and the staple gun couldn't handle all the "bulk." I took off all the layers and this was the bottom layer - still in tact with antique nails. I left it on. I'm not sure if it's the original fabric but I left it on because it's the most original and I didn't put it on.
This is what they looked like after I was done.
Dave has had many projects of his own that he's been wanting to tackle. The first of them was rebuilding a house for the bunnies. They are SO happy now. The one they have been in all winter was getting a little cramped and this one is a lot more roomy for 5 bunnies.

4 comments:
can't believe the beautiful fabric that was on thoes chairs. I bet it is orignal. You shoud have used it for some pillows or something,maybe in the future. You are so lucky to have them I am sure g-grandma is so happy someome loves them as much as you do.They were her pride and joy.
Your table looks so fun and "Spring-y"! Good job! And 5 BUNNIES?! Oh my gosh! Wow! I would love to bring my kids over soemtime to see them. How fun!
Sasha - anytime they want to see the bunnies, they're welcome to. They are pretty tame and really nice!
I love home improvement projects! Well done! That's cool that you still have your g-grandma's stuff! I still have the piano that my grandma gave me...my dad learned to play on it...It's old , but I love it!...I didn't mean my dad is old...just the piano...it's older than him...
Post a Comment