
I was reading the Ensign yesterday when I had a minute. Dave was at the BYU game with the kids (except my house plant - Talbie, who stayed home) so I had some quite time.
Have any of you read the article by Sister Mary N. Cook entitled, "Looking to the Lord?" It was inspiration to me and it touched my heart. Sister Cook serves in the General YW Presidency and I've heard her tell this story before, but she didn't marry until she was 37 years old. She talks about the trial and concern this had been to her when her life circumstances hadn't turned out the way she had hoped and dreamed. She became self-involved and discouraged. She then says:
"I remember a significant point in my life when, like the sons of Mosiah, I looked to the Lord. I had always remained active in the church and had a "knowledge of the truth" (1 Timothy 2:4; 2Timothy 3:7), but I desired more. I made the decision to be more diligent in my scripture study, to be more prayerful, and to live more worthy of the guidance of the Spirit. I longed to be an "instrument in the hands of God," as were the sons of Mosiah."
This is simple doctrine and I don't know why this hit me like it did? We all go through trials in our life and sometimes our first reaction is to wallow in self-pity, feel sorry for ourselves, or think, "I will read my scriptures faithfully again when this trial is over." Shouldn't we be doing the exact opposite of this? Even when our lives or minds are filled with worry, I know if we will go to the Lord in prayer and study His word - it's easier to turn our problems over to him and let His will be done. That's faith!

3 comments:
I loved that talk. It was a good one. That is what I have been working on lately. Trusting the Lord. Working hard to do my part but give it to the Lord.
Thanks Kellie....I needed that! :)
That's exactly what we're trying to do with the sell of our house! Lance is totally stressed about it....even though our house won't be done until Feb. he's worried the house isn't going to sell in time...I keep telling him Have faith!! It'll sell in the Lord's time!!!..so, thanks!! :)
Post a Comment