Monday, May 28, 2007

We're Back!

Last night I got home from a week in New York City. I was there with my sister Brittany, my brother Dustin, and my parents. We had a great time and we were able to squeeze a lot in. Brittany and I left on Monday morning around 10:00. My brother was coming from Vegas and we met him there - my parents didn't arrive until late that night although they flew first class so I'm sure their flight was more enjoyable. When we went last year, Brittany and I were able to fly first class with them so we felt extremely jipped this year - flying coach!

Brittany and I leaving from the SLC airport. We looked more refreshed than the picture I'll post of us leaving from the JFK airport!
With my mom and Brittany waiting to go into the Martha Stewart Show. We were there on a great day because they gave away Tom Ford (of Gucci) cologne for men, a ton of scrapbook supplies, and because the 3 of us cheered so loud - we got an additional give away of some bath products. We scored!


Going crazy in Chinatown. We scored some cute purses. This is always such an adventure. We followed one lady up 7 flights of stairs and into a bonafide sweatshop to get some of them. We're crazy!
On Wednesday, Brittany and I got up at 5:30 in the morning to wait outside the ABC studios to see if we could get into the VIEW. We were numbers 3 and 4 in the standby line. We waited for 2 hours to get those numbers and than we had to come back an hour later to see if we'd get into the show. They didn't let ANY standby's in that day so we went home disappointed. We later found out that we could have witnessed history unfold because there was a big fight between Rosie and Elisabeth that day and Rosie is not coming back. We could have been there for the drama! That's shallow but it would have been entertainment!

With Brittany and Dustin on Time's Square. We stayed at the Hilton on Time's Square - just a block or so from here. This was taken as we were walking home from "Legally Blonde" - the musical. It was cute!

This was taken at "Serendipity". If you've seen the move "Serendipity" you know this place. It's also in the movie "One Fine Day". We always eat here and get their famous Frozen Hot Chocolates. Delicious!!
This was taken at "Tavern on the Green". We ate there before on Thursday night. This is a beautiful place located at Central Park. Great atmosphere. After we ate here we went to see the musical "Spring Awakening." VERY raunchy and disappointing. We left at intermission. It's sad too because it's up for lik 11 Tony Awards this year. Figures! The upside of going to that was we were able to see Zach Braff (of Scrubs). He sat right in front of Dustin. Also, across the isle from us was Sissy Spacek. I love seeing stars!

Hammered! This was us yesterday waiting at the JFK airport to come home. Not quite as refreshed as when we left. We love New York but after a week there, we are ready to come home.

Other highlights of the trip...

We saw "Mary Poppins" - the musical. SOOOOO GOOD. There were a lot of little kids there and I wish my girls could have seen it. One of my favorites I've ever seen.

We did a session in the Manhattan Temple on Friday and I always love doing that. The temple is so beautiful and it's never busy so we usually have the place to ourselves. So peaceful.

The biggest highlight of my trip was a missionary experience we had with a cab driver. I was with my mom and Brittany when we got into this cab and the man asked us where we were from. After we told him we were from Utah, he said "Are you Mormons?" We told him we were. He went on to say that he had met some Mormons a couple of weeks ago who had given him a Book of Mormon but he didn't have time to read it because he was in his cab all the time. He went on to tell us everything he knew (which was a lot!). He was a man from Nigeria, Africa and he was a little difficult to understand but in the 5 minute cab ride we had with him, he asked us as many questions as he could. About the pioneers - why we had a temple and a church - what was the difference - how do you pray, etc.

Then he asked me, "If I was to say a prayer for him, what would I say." I went on to try and tell him how we pray - but he seemed to already know that. He wanted me to PRAY for him right there and then. I was a little taken back but I told him I would. In the last 30 seconds of our ride, I said a prayer out loud and prayed from him - that his questions could be answered and he'd find the peace he was looking for. By the end of the prayer - I was crying, Brittany and my mom were crying - and the cab driver was wiping his eyes and he said, "That touched me very much!"

He gave me his address and we're going this week to the Distribution Center and getting everything we can to send him. He wants us to send him EVERYTHING we can get our hands on for him. I'm sending the missionaries to him and I think he will finally know everything he wants to know about our church.

We had a great trip. Dave did such a great job with the kids and house while I was gone. Everything was so clean when I got home. The only thing I have to do is my laundry!

2 comments:

The BC Fam said...

How fun! I'm jealous! I need cheap purses!

nalani said...

Looks like you had a super fun time. I'm just wishing you would have posted pictures while you were there so then we could have all put in our purse orders!!!!