Saturday was a violin graduation for Suzuki students. You graduate once a year - or when you finish a book. This was going to be Emmie's first graduation and she was graduating on her "Twinkles" (6 variations of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star).
The little "Twinklers" are usually last and they start with the more advanced books first. Emmie sat patiently for almost an hour - anxiously awaiting her turn to be on stage (with about 50 other students) and play her songs.
As we got settled in the auditorium before the graduation started, I realized that I had left her chin rest in the car. My first thought was "Don't worry about it - she can do it without it." Then, I thought again and sent Maddie out to the car for it. Big Mistake!
The chin rest doesn't fit her little violin very well so I held her violin until it was time for her to walk on stage. That time came and I told her to hold the violin carefully so it didn't fall off. She did that and started her long walk up to the stage (we were close to the back).
She was so excited! So prepared! I watched her strut up there onto the stage - only to watch her chin rest pop off her violin. I didn't panic because usually one of the teachers will help the little ones put it back on. Well, before a teacher could see her, she started to try and do it herself. Another Big Mistake!
Emmie hasn't ever tried to put it on and I knew she couldn't do it. I was praying a teacher would see her before it was time to start playing. Before I could finish that prayer, I heard a CRASH! She had dropped her violin.
I started racing for the stage but by the time I got to her she was full on hysterical! Her own teacher, TruAnn Boulter - was already at her side telling her it was OK, while another teacher was trying desperately to put her violin back together.
The violin got reassembled and TruAnn and I were trying to get Emmie on that stage but she wasn't going! She was mad, embarrassed, and frustrated and wasn't going back up! So - we sat on the sidelines while everyone played their twinkles. She will have to do it again next year and her book one graduation piece. I felt so bad for her. It was quite day!
The above picture was taken BEFORE the trip up to the stage :(

6 comments:
Oh that is just so sad! Poor Emmie, hopefully she has gotten over it!
That's so sad! What's a mom to do?! She does look adorable though. :)
So sad....I hate feeling embarrassed and frustrated like that. Too bad it isn't something your grow out of! At least I didn't! I bet her song would've sounded great.
Oh that is is so sad for Emmie...especially after she was so excited and so well prepared. Oh well, it makes for a good story, right?
Poor baby! She looks so dang cute with her violin! I know she felt embarrassed, but some day she'll laugh about it...like me and the time my skirt fell down around my feet in the middle of the mall when I was pregnant with Conor, and while I was holding Chase...good times...
Maybe if grandpa let her play the money game, she'd feel better...in fact, maybe I'm still a little traumatized from my experience...I'd better play it with her...
How sad! That must have been so frustrating and embarrassing for her!!
Post a Comment