Friday, March 28, 2008

Bronson's Orthodontic Mess

I mentioned yesterday that Bronson has a long orthodontic road ahead of him. He's been seeing the orthodontist since 1st grade (2 years ago) because I knew his mouth was small and that if we wanted to save all his teeth (like Maddie), we'd have to start soon.

They've been watching him and pulling teeth as new teeth come in so there's room. He has a bottom retainer keeping the bottom teeth where they need to be but the appointment this week let us know what we were in for now.

We really wanted to be able to widen his jaw and make it so he could keep all his adult teeth but that's not going to happen. When I had braces, I had to have 4 of my permanent teeth pulled out because my mouth was too small to hold them all. Now there are many things they can do to help widen things when you're young and it makes for big beautiful smiles.

Bronson's mouth is just too small to do that it and so he has to get 2 more baby teeth pulled on the top so there's room for more teeth to come in. He will need to have 2 of his permanent teeth pulled in a year or two so they don't all come in on top of each other.

Also - his gum tissue on the bottom teeth is very thin and you can also see the tooth and root all the way down where they start. That's not good and so he needs to go see a periodontist to get the little "thingy" that's attached to the bottom lip - snipped so it will stop pulling down on his gums.

Then he needs to go see another special dentist after that (dad - your friend Dr. Crawford) to get his tongue snipped because he's "tongue-tied."

After all that's done - then we'll see where we're at. Talk about having a "million dollar smile!"


Having X rays taken

.
After he was done - playing the video games. The most exciting thing about the orthodontist! Obviously the news of all his surgeries and procedures didn't bother him. If it would have been Talbie in that chair - she would have been listening very intently - and freaking out a little bit!

7 comments:

jill allison said...

Kellie, I feel for you. Cade's mouth has had many issues...the largest being that his jaw also is to big for his adult teeth...they are HUGE! He also had a severe underbite, and we had to do a headgear that run from his forehead to his chin, to try and pull it out; if that didn't work we'd have to have surgery to break his jaw. His jaw did correct, and there is a 85% chance it will stay that way, so we are keeping our fingers crossed. He too will unfortunately have to have some permanent teeth pulled, but my ortho and dentist keep reassuring me that it will be ok and needs to be done. Yikes. What fun things. Cade has such anxiety now about going to either the ortho or the dentist that he just twitches his legs and starts to cry before they've even started. My heart goes out to you and Bronson. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I feel badly for your little darlings as braces and having your teeth pulled as we all know is NOT fun :0, but I feel even more sad for you ---- "Million Dollar Smiles" actually cost almost that much :)

Michelle said...

What a nightmare!

andrea said...

UGH! That sounds awful...poor kid! At least he doesn't seem too concerned abut it now....make sure they keep those video games around. I'll stop complaining about my teeth now...it could be worse! Too bad for your son that he had to give me my perspective! ;)

Borens said...

Hey, it's been fun for me to catch up on all that's been going on with your family! Sorry about all of those braces. Which bank are you going to rob? Call me, I'll come with! :)

Kelli

Cindy said...

Wow, what a rough day at the dentist for Bronson and Talbie! I'm not looking forward to that stage for my kids. Sounds not fun and way expensive! We pay enough as it is for Ben to get root canals every 6 months!

Hacking it up said...

Yikes!!!
Have fun with that!
It is amazing though how much they can do nowadays...I wish they would have had some of this technology when I had my braces!